Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Today's news


There is almost unanimous agreement about the top story in the U.S. today: The Supreme Court found it is unconstitutional to deny federal benefits to same-sex couples who are legally married. This has been a controversial issue in the U.S. for decades, and while the court's ruling won't end that debate, it does alter it substantially.


Take a look at the front page of the New York Times' website. Assess the coverage. How would this story be handled by media in your country? What is the proper way to handle a story like this? Look at a news outlet from your country to see how this story is displayed.


Yesterday, we talked about transparency among journalist. Last year, CNN host Anderson Cooper, one of America's most-influential broadcast journalist, wrote an email to blogger Andrew Sullivan:


"I’ve begun to consider whether the unintended outcomes of maintaining my privacy outweigh personal and professional principle. It's become clear to me that by remaining silent on certain aspects of my personal life for so long, I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something—something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid. This is distressing because it is simply not true...The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."


How does Cooper's acknowledgment alter how he is seen by viewers? He said that "personal and professional principle" trumped his desire to maintain privacy. What are those principles? Should all journalists be as transparent about their private lives?


Earlier this year, one of our 2012 SUSI students, wrote a post on his blog entitled, "I'm Queer." The BBC says Ala'a Jarban is one of Yemen's first openly gay men. But is he safe at home? That question has been raised by friends and supporters. Here is the link to AJ's blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment